PAPI Newsletter – March/April 2017
What’s Happening in IDAHO…
- March 23rd – Art Video and Critique at the Library at Cole and Ustick. 630 pm. The video is about the Cape Cod School method of painting light by Hawthorne and Hensche. Lynne Easterbrook will share her journey of painting in the blocks of light and shade method pioneered by Charles Monet in his Haystacks and Rouen Cathedral paintings. Bringing a piece of your work for critique is optional for this Thursday night gathering.
- April 27-29th – It’s time to sign up for the J.Ken Spencer Workshop “Controlling the Viewer’s Eye” at the Fort Boise Community Center, Boise. $335 for PAPI members and $350 for nonmembers. Online registration, workshop materials list and more info on our webpage www.pleinairpaintersofidaho.org.
- May 18-20th – Join your fellow artists at the MK Nature Center, 600 S. Walnut, Boise for the Flora and Fauna Of Idaho Paint Out and workshop that includes the opportunity to show and sell your work. A one day workshop will be offered by Geoff Krueger “Designing Your Landscape Painting” on Saturday the 20th, 10-4pm. The Show and Sale is Saturday, 2-4 pm at the Nature Center. Event ends with a BBQ at Dee and Todd Miller’s.
- May 28-30th – Silver Creek Paint Out – the annual paint out begins on opening day of Fly Fishing in the beautiful Silver Creek area near Bellevue, ID. Paint the creek, fishermen, fields and mountains! Watch for details on the website. This event happens Memorial Day Weekend.
- June 22-24th – Paint The Snake! In the Magic Valley in June! David Swain our PAPI coordinator for the Magic Valley is promising a fun filled Paint Out in the Twin Falls area. Watch the website for details about this. He is working on a cooperative reception and show at the Art Center on the Rim of the Snake River. Maybe a mini workshop too!
- June-Sept – Redfish Summer Art Exhibit at the Redfish Center. Opportunity for members to show and sell work at the Sawtooth Interpretive Center at Redfish Lake. See PAPI website for details.
- Sept. 4-8th – The Annual Redfish Paint Out is scheduled, more details will be provided soon via the Events page on the website
- Month Of October – 2nd Annual Members Art Show Be looking for info and the prospectus for the 2nd annual PAPI MEMBERS SHOW that will be held in October, 2017 at the Initial Point Gallery in Meridian, ID. The Prospectus will be emailed to current, active members shortly. The show is limited to the first 50 artists responding with COMPLETED registration outlined in the prospectus. Opening reception is October 3. There will be an opportunity for artist demos at the gallery during the month of October . Details will be included in the prospectus!
“To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut~
Other Opportunities and Notes of Interest…
Geoff Krueger is offering a 3 day workshop in Still Lifes at his studio at 3041 Chinden Ave., Garden City, Mar 9-11. You need to reserve your spot at email@example.com
Bonnie Griffith is offering a Pastel Paint Along Saturday March 25, 9-11 at Finer Frames in Eagle. Following that on April 1 is a mini workshop in Pastel, 9-12 Saturday morning for those interested in more pastel tips and techniques. Register at Finer Frames 208-888-9898.
Robert Moore is offering an oil painting workshop May 1-5 at his studio in Declo, ID. PAPI members get a 205 discount on this event. Go to the events page on the PAPI website for more details or contact Robert Moore directly.
Meridian Dairy Days Art Show is June 24 with a calll to artists deadline of May 5. More info can be found in our website events section and on the Facebook page and website for Meridian Arts Commission.
Other events and call to artists are added regularly to the PAPI website under Other Art News And Events. Check it frequently for opportunities that you might not want to miss!!
Please extend congratulations to two PAPI members who earned awards in the Pastel Society of the West Coast Members Online Show. Cindy Gillett and Tina Karras are both award winners! Cindy won the coveted Best of Show and Tina won Third Place in this competition. Congrats to you both!
Join Us on:
More Plein Air Events Around The Area:
Driggs Plein Air begins July 23. Paint the area around Tetonia, Driggs and Victor! This is a great event to attend with lots of incredible landscape to paint. This year’s juror and workshop instructor is Aaron Scheuerr an accomplished artist in both oil and pastels from Livingston, MT. His workshop is the 3 days preceding the event. Interested? Get signed up soon as his workshops are very popular and fill quickly!
Escalante Canyons Art Festival registration is also now online. That plein air event and festivities takes place the last week of September in south-central UT amid the Grand Staircase National Monument and some of the most diverse and beautiful landscape in the west.
Other Plein Air Events: Look for other plein air events by googling the event specific or the location. Many are already online and some are juried, so registration happens early to get accepted into these! Some to look for are Paint the Peninsula in Port Angeles, WA; The Columbia Gorge Paint Out at Mary Hill Museum, Goldendale, WA; Spring City, UT plein air; Midway, UT plein air, and more. Plein Air magazine has a good listing of plein air events in the January issue!
Eagle Plein Air Festival 2017 – This year’s Eagle Plein Air Festival is June 8-10th with pre-event plein air workshops offered by Nils Nordquist June 5-7 and a one day plein air pastel boot camp by Bonnie Griffith on Saturday June 3 at Finer Frames, Eagle. Event organizer, Meg Glasgow has ramped up the festival to include a paint out at Eagle Island, a nocturne paint out, Jazz in theVines and more. Register NOW at Eaglepleinairfestival.com!
EAGLE PLEIN AIR FESTIVAL – Be sure to get registered and check out all the events planned for the Eagle Plein Air in June (8-10). It is packed with paint outs at Eagle Island, 3 Horse Ranch Winery Jazz in the Vines, a Nocturne paint out, Downtown paint out and more. PAPI is the Gold Sponsor for this event. We will have the opportunity to also show work in the PAPI Members Only art show and sale May 20-June 7 at the gallery at Finer Frames! 30-40 plein air paintings by members will be selected for this exhibit and sale! Details will be emailed to members soon! PAPI members also can receive a discount of $10 for the general registration by using the discount code PAPI2017 when registering. There is also a discount being offered for the Niles Nordquist workshop June 5-7 for active PAPI members and that discount code is PAPIWORKSHOP.
As a note, this plein air event is in its 3rd year and has experienced growth in the years preceding. Meg Glasgow is adding new, fun events this year to attract more painters. PAPI has agreed to be a sponsor of the event in support of her efforts to provide a first class plein air festival. This is for our membership! It’s a great opportunity for workshops that are discounted and general registration that is discounted to promote and encourage the PAPI memberships participation. Its an opportunity to show your work and have a great time painting in the spirit of plein air!
You MUST SUBSCRIBE to receive all future PAPI newsletters! Enter your email address in the box above to subscribe. This newsletter will be published January, March, May, July, September and November of each year. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform you of news and events of interest to PAPI members. If you have information you’d like to share in the newsletter please contact Bonnie Griffith firstname.lastname@example.org.