PAPI NEWS – May/June 2017
Plein Air Painters of Idaho – Newsletter – May/June 2017
“The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” Pablo Picasso
Spring has arrived in IDAHO! It’s time to get out the art supplies, your back pack and easel and head out and do some plein air painting! There are a ton of events, Paint Outs, workshops and more to consider! Several of the following events are listed on the PAPI website in “EVENTS” and are in great detail with links to sites and contact info!
HIGHLIGHTS OF APRIL:
- The KEN SPENCER WORKSHOP was held in Boise April 27-29 and was attended by 12 artists who were privileged to learn more tricks and tips for an excellent artist. Consider taking Ken’s workshop in the future, if the opportunity comes about. You will learn valuable info for studio and plein air painting!
- The PLEIN AIR CONVENTION AND EXPO was held in San Diego the last week of April and several PAPI members attended. This event was attended by nearly 1000 artists with demos from master artists, an expo of art supplies, competitions, etc. Next year the event will be held in Santa Fe, April 16-20. Anyone considering attending should go to the website now and get your registration in. There is a monetary advantage to early registration!! And what a location to be able to paint in! Check this opportunity out.
EVENTS HAPPENING SOON:
- FLORA AND FAUNA OF IDAHO – This event is coming up soon! May 18-20 at MK Nature Center on Walnut St., Boise. This includes a workshop on the 20th with Geoff Krueger and an Art Sale that afternoon and more. Dee Miller is your contact.
- SILVER CREEK PAINT OUT – Don’t miss opening day of fly fishing on Silver Creek! May 28-30. The Nature Conservancy at Silver Creek is the spot to be for this event. Pam Street coordinates this and hosts a BBQ at her home on Sunday evening. Don’t want to stay for the entire weekend? Do a day trip to this beautiful area near Sun Valley and paint for a day. (You are going to want to stay the whole time, though)
- SUMMER ART EXHIBIT AT SAWTOOTH INTERPRETIVE CENTER – Pam Street is coordinating this event and is an opportunity for artists to show work at the Sawtooth Interpretive Center. Bring work with you to the Silver Creek Paint Out! All the details are on the PAPI website “events.” This is a great way to show your work over the summer at this tourist stop in the Sawtooths!
- EAGLE PLEIN AIR – Register online for the Eagle Plein Air event June 8-10 on their website. PAPI is the Gold Sponsor for this event. We are very lucky to have Meg Glasgow of Finer Frames in Eagle organizing this event-packed event. This year promises more with a quick draw at 3 Horse Ranch Vineyard (along with a jazz and wine event there), a paint out at Eagle Island State Park (park fee waived for artists for that day), a Nocturne Paint out during the full moon, Downtown Eagle quick draw on State Street, a Wednesday night (June 7) welcome reception for artists and more. Plus you can see the works of 18 PAPI artists who are participating in the Art Show at Finer Frames that ends June 7! Two workshops by PAPI artists include JUNE 3 – BONNIE GRIFFITH’S PASTEL BOOT CAMP and JUNE 5-7 -NILES NORDQUIST’S PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP. (Plein Air Eagle website has links to register for these workshops, details of the events, etc.)
- PAINT THE SNAKE – David Swain has organized a plein air event in the Magic Valley of Twin Falls packed full of activities and opportunities for artists of all skill levels! Working with the Magic Valley Center for the Arts, there will be paint outs, a WORKSHOP WITH SILAS THOMPSON, a reception and art show/sale at the Center for the Arts all happening JUNE 22-24.
- RED CHAIR LAVENDER PAINT OUT – Eagle, ID on July 7. Mix up your purples and head to 2729 N. Haven Drive in Eagle and join PAPI artist painting lavender fields. If you haven’t paint these magnificent plants before, prepare to be wowed with color and shapes!
MORE ARTIST OPPORTUNITIES TO CONSIDER….not all are necessarily PAPI sponsored, but artistic endeavors that might interest you!
- Dairy Days in Meridian – June 24. Deadline to enter is May 5. Meridian Arts Commission hosts this event. This year there will be tents PROVIDED for artists participating and there is no fee for entry. A great opportunity for artists with small work, prints, notecards and a great marketing event to get your name out! More info on our website.
- Marsing, ID has a Wine and Art in the Park event on May 6
- Initial Point Gallery, Meridian City Hall has opening receptions June 6, July 11 and August 1. Tuesday’s 430-7. PAPI artist Carol Johansen is showing work there during the month of August. AND – the PAPI membership show is there the month of OCT! (Get your entry in! Prospectus is on our website!)
- There is a Plein Air Yellowstone in Livingston, MT area in early August. Looks like the entries for the competition are filled, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go and paint and see the work of the artists participating. Hang around that area and go to the Heart of the West Show August 10-12 at the Grantree Inn and watch quick finishes and live auctions.
- Vizcaya Winery in Kuna is hosting an art and wine fest on June 30. Info at Finer Frames in Eagle. It’s a tent event and you need your own props and tent. Entry deadline is June 6.
- There are lots of plein air competitions not too far away. You can go to the Paint the Snake and then go to the Wasatch Plein Air Paradise event in Midway/Heber City, UT from the 24th of June to July 4. Driggs has their event the 23-29 of July.
- Farther out the PAPI calendar are events like the Redfish Paint Out at Redfish Lake in Sept., the all members exhibit at Initial Point Gallery, Meridian in October, the annual members meeting (TBA).
- Still in the planning stage – Be looking for an artist event – maybe a quick draw in Meridian one day during Art Week in September. Stay tuned for the events associated with Art Week September 9-15. There is planned an ART DROP which is a fun activity where artists hide a piece or pieces of art in the downtown Meridian area with a label that indicates their name and a notice that whoever finds this art gets to keep it. It’s a Meridian Arts Commission sponsored event and was a huge hit last year. Small original works of art or craft or jewelry suggested. Details later on Art Week.
As a final note, please know there are many more art events, competitions, sales, etc. in the state. These are but a small taste of opportunities for artists. If you have an event or information you want to share in the newsletter, please email Bonnie (email@example.com). The newsletter is written every other month and the goal is get it to you early in that month. The next newsletter will be in the first part of July.
Happy painting….and a final quote for the times…
”Art, freedom and creativity will change society faster than politics.” (Victor Pinchuk)